What Licence Do I Need To Drive A HIAB Truck? - HGV Learning

What Licence Do I Need To Drive A HIAB Truck?

What Licence Do I Need To Drive A HIAB Truck?


HIAB trucks are essential in many industries, providing versatile lifting and transportation solutions. If you’re looking to drive one of these vehicles, it’s crucial to understand the licensing requirements. This article will guide you through everything you need to know about the licences and certifications necessary to operate a HIAB truck.

What is a HIAB Truck?

A HIAB truck is a type of lorry equipped with a hydraulic crane. HIAB, which stands for Hydrauliska Industri AB, is the company that pioneered this technology. These trucks are used for loading and unloading heavy materials, making them indispensable in construction, logistics, and various other industries.

Types of HIAB Trucks

HIAB trucks come in different models and capacities, each suited to specific tasks. Some common types include:

  • Small HIAB trucks: Ideal for lighter loads and urban environments.
  • Medium HIAB trucks: Suitable for mid-range lifting tasks, often used in construction.
  • Large HIAB trucks: Capable of handling heavy loads, typically used in industrial settings.

Licensing Requirements for Driving a HIAB Truck

Basic Licensing Requirements

To drive a HIAB truck, you need an appropriate heavy goods vehicle (HGV) licence. The two main types are:

  1. Category C Licence (HGV Class 2): A Cat C licence allows you to drive lorries over 3,500kg with a trailer up to 750kg.
  2. Category C+E Licence (HGV Class 1): A C+E licence allows you to drive lorries over 3,500kg with a trailer over 750kg.

Both licences require you to be at least 18 years old and meet medical standards.

Additional Certifications

Beyond the basic HGV licence, you need specific certifications to operate a HIAB truck safely and legally.

HIAB Operator Certification

A HIAB operator certification is essential for anyone operating the crane attachment. This certification ensures you understand how to use the crane safely and effectively. Accredited training providers offer courses that cover both theoretical knowledge and practical skills.

CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence)

The CPC is a vital qualification for professional HGV drivers. It includes an initial qualification, followed by periodic training every five years to ensure drivers remain competent and up-to-date with industry standards.

Steps to Obtain a HIAB Truck Licence

Preliminary Steps

Before you start training, ensure you meet the basic eligibility criteria.

  • Age: You must be at least 18 years old.
  • Health: A medical examination is required to confirm you meet the health standards for HGV drivers.
  • Provisional HGV Licence: Apply for a provisional HGV licence through the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). You’ll need to provide identification and pass a medical examination.
  • Training Programs: Enrolling in a comprehensive training program is crucial for obtaining your HGV and HIAB licences.

HGV Training Courses

HGV training courses vary in duration and cost. They typically include both classroom-based learning and practical driving experience. Funding options, such as government schemes or employer sponsorship, may be available.

HIAB Operation Training

HIAB operation training covers the safe use of the crane. Accredited centres offer courses that include both theoretical instruction and hands-on practice.

  • Testing and Certification: Once your training is complete, you’ll need to pass several tests.
  • Theory Test: The theory test assesses your knowledge of road safety and regulations. Study materials are available online, and preparation courses can help you succeed.
  • Practical Driving Test: The practical test evaluates your ability to drive an HGV safely. It includes manoeuvres, road driving, and specific skills relevant to HIAB truck operation.
  • HIAB Operation Test: A practical assessment of your HIAB operation skills is required. This test ensures you can operate the crane safely and efficiently.

Maintaining Your Licence and Certification

Periodic Training and CPC Requirements

To keep your HGV licence and HIAB certification valid, you must complete periodic training.

  1. CPC Periodic Training: Every five years, you must complete 35 hours of CPC training. Courses cover various topics to ensure you stay competent and compliant with industry standards.
  2. Renewing Your HGV Licence: HGV licences must be renewed periodically. The renewal process includes a medical examination to ensure you continue to meet health standards.
  3. Staying Compliant with Regulations: Maintaining your licence and certification involves staying up-to-date with regulations and health requirements.
  4. Regular Medical Check-ups: Regular medical check-ups are mandatory. These exams ensure you are fit to drive and operate HIAB equipment safely.
  5. Updates on Industry Regulations: Stay informed about changes in industry regulations. Regularly check official sources and consider joining professional associations to keep up-to-date.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Do I need a special licence to drive a HIAB truck?

Yes, you need an HGV licence (Category C or C+E) and a HIAB operator certification.

How long does it take to get a HIAB truck licence?

The process can take several months, depending on your training schedule and test availability.

Can I get funding for my HGV and HIAB training?

Yes, there are various funding options available, including government schemes and employer sponsorship.


Obtaining a licence to drive a HIAB truck involves several steps, including getting the right HGV licence, completing HIAB operation training, and maintaining your certifications. By following this guide, you’ll be well-prepared to meet all the requirements and start your career as a HIAB truck operator.

Ready to start your journey to becoming a certified HIAB truck operator? HGV Learning offers comprehensive training programs tailored to your needs. Our experienced instructors provide hands-on training with modern equipment, ensuring you gain the skills and knowledge required to operate a HIAB truck safely and efficiently.

Contact HGV Learning today to learn more about our HIAB training courses, schedule a session, and take the first step towards a rewarding career. Visit our website or call us at [insert contact number] for more information.

Related Articles

Dumper Truck


What Do I Need To Drive A Dumper Truck?

Introduction Driving a dumper truck is a specialised task that requires appropriate licensing and training. Understanding the requirements for operating these heavy vehicles is crucial...
LGV Vehicle


What Do I Need To Drive An LGV Vehicle?

Introduction The logistics and transportation sectors critically depend on Large Goods Vehicles (LGVs). They ensure the timely and safe delivery of goods across various distances....
View all articles

Contact Us

Complete the form below and we’ll contact you asap.

dots dots